UPDATE: I now have blog site too! Keep up to date with every day of the challenge: http://davegolder2005.wordpress.com/
People who know me know I love trainers. I have a stupid amount of them, and a couple of years ago I Tweeted 28 Days of Trainers throughout February, when I photographed myself wearing 28 different pairs of trainers, a pair for each day of the month.
So yeah, I've spent far too much on trainers and now it’s time for payback.
Because now, for charity, I’m going to attempt A Year Of Trainers. Yep, 365 days wearing 365 different pairs of trainers.
Problem is – and where it becomes a challenge (and therefore worth sponsoring) for me – even I don’t own 365 pairs of trainers.
So I’m going to have to beg, steal or borrow (maybe not steal) Size 9s wherever I can get them. And probably get some strange looks in the process.
• I will wear each day’s pair for the main part of the day, but reserve the right to change into others for the sake of sport/activities/weather
• I will photograph myself wearing each pair and post the image on my Twitter feed (maybe I‘ll set up a blog if it’s going really well)
• I can wear the same brand and even the same style twice so long as it’s in a different colour (or significantly different in style)
• Even if I’m going to a formal event, I have to wear that day’s trainers (I’ll keep a few decent, presentable pairs in the wings for such occasions)
• If anyone is kind enough to donate unwanted old trainers*, I will not be keeping them (I don’t want it to look like I’m just trying to build my collection) but will donate them to charity (via shoe banks, I expect, or if they’re in a really good condition I’ll auction them on ebay to raise even more money).
(*See, I’m starting the “begging” part early)
• I’ll make sure there’s a sci-fi connection every now and then! (Hmmm, anybody got any Avengers Vans or Star Wars Adidas I could borrow?)
Alzheimer's Research UK:
I’ve chosen this charity for two main reasons:
• There is no history of Alzheimer's in my family, so I’m not just doing this as some kind of insurance policy!
• Because of who I am, and who follows me on Twitter, I realise that I will be relying to a large extent on SFX readers an SF fans to donate (pretty please) as well as family and friends. As such it seem only right to choose a sci-fi/fantasy related charity, so I’m delighted to give any proceeds to the charity supported by Sir Terry Pratchett.
How you can help:
• You can donate money
• You can donate/loan Size 9 trainers (probably only releavant to people within shoe-throwing distance of me) – I actually find the idea of wearing other people’s shoes a bit icky (blame longstanding trauma from school PE lessons when I forgot my kit and was forced to wear stuff from the dreaded locker) but hey, that just adds to the challenge and why you should sponsor me!